Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Palestinian "illegal" worker killed in Jaffa cold

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pascal
Admin
Pascal

Number of posts : 225
Organisation : UL CNT Besançon
Registration date : 2006-08-20

Palestinian "illegal" worker killed in Jaffa cold Empty
PostSubject: Palestinian "illegal" worker killed in Jaffa cold   Palestinian "illegal" worker killed in Jaffa cold EmptySat Oct 07, 2006 12:50 pm

Ynet, 4 october 2006 :

Quote :
Palestinian’s brother: He was murdered in cold-blood

Brother of Tarqumiya resident who was shot dead by Border Guard officer in Jaffa claims he witnessed incident from up close; ‘they took him outside and shot him. There was no malfunction, no attempt to snatch the weapon; it was a deliberate murder,’ he says. Officer claims shooting was accidental, but investigation reveals he lied during testimony

Tarqumiya resident Morad Abu Raiya, who said he witnessed the fatal shooting of his brother Iad by a Border Guard officer in Jaffa, told Ynet on Wednesday “I was a few meters from the scene; at first the officers chased after my brother and his friend, took them into the bathroom of a building and beat them severely with clubs. A few minutes later they took him outside and shot him.

“There was no malfunction, no attempt to snatch the weapon; it was deliberate murder,” he said.

Iad’s brother added: “We will sue the killing officer and we will not give up until he is put on trial, even if it costs me my life."

He said he immediately ran in his brother’s direction upon hearing the gunfire.

“But he was lying in a pool of his own blood,” Morad said. “I realized he was no longer alive.”

Morad said that he immediately phoned his parents following the incident for fear they would hear of it from a third party.

“At first I told them that he was lightly wounded; as I made my way closer and closer to Tarqumiya I told them that his condition was deteriorating; I told them he was dead only after I got home,” he recounted.

Morad said that Iad, the 8th of 12 brothers and sisters, was awaiting the birth of his child.

“It was Iad’s first day at his new job in Jaffa, and we were waiting for his child to bring us some happiness, because we have another brother who died less than six months ago from a kidney disease; but instead of rejoicing in the birth of a child I guess we are destined to live from tragedy to tragedy," he said.

A Military Police investigation revealed that the 19-year-old Border Guard officer cocked his weapon without any provocation on the part of Raiya, causing a bullet to be fired accidentally.

During the investigation, it was clarified that the officer lied during his testimony that claimed that the Palestinian tried to grab his weapon.
Back to top Go down
http://cnt25.over-blog.com/
Pascal
Admin
Pascal

Number of posts : 225
Organisation : UL CNT Besançon
Registration date : 2006-08-20

Palestinian "illegal" worker killed in Jaffa cold Empty
PostSubject: Re: Palestinian "illegal" worker killed in Jaffa cold   Palestinian "illegal" worker killed in Jaffa cold EmptySat Oct 07, 2006 12:51 pm

Haaretz, 6 october 2006

Quote :
Illegal Palestinian workers possibly beaten before Jaffa shooting

Border policemen may have beat several illegal Palestinian workers in Jaffa on Wednesday before one worker was shot and killed, according to information emerging from a probe of the incident.

Sources in the Justice Ministry's Police Investigations Department (PID) said that the department has almost completed its inquiry into the shooting of Ayad Abu Aya, 29, of Tarqumiyeh in the West Bank. It is now considering whether to indict the policeman who shot him and if so, on what charges.

A Border Police unit rounding up illegal laborers in the Jaffa area on Wednesday came across some Palestinians suspected of being in Israel illegally. One of the policemen then shot and killed Abu Aya, who was one of the workers. A police statement said afterward that Abu Aya had tried to grab the policeman's gun in an escape attempt, and that during the ensuing struggle, a bullet was discharged and hit the Palestinian, who later died.

However, the policeman broke under questioning and confessed that he had drawn his weapon without being provoked by the Palestinian or anyone else. The PID also found that the weapon was fired while the policeman was still holding it.

PID investigators are now examining whether the shooting was accidental or intentional. The officer has been placed under house arrest. It seemed to be an open and shut case: early Wednesday morning a Palestinian working illegally in Jaffa panicked when caught by police, and tried to grab a policeman's gun, which misfired, killing him. But within a few hours, the policeman confessed that the worker did not attack the policeman who shot and killed him.
Back to top Go down
http://cnt25.over-blog.com/

Palestinian "illegal" worker killed in Jaffa cold
Page 1 of 1